March 26, 2011

An expensive addiction.

I received a new toy the other day just time to shoot my portrait project.  So I gotta admit, I am addicted to film and this is a damn expensive addiction, which explains why I only have $40 in my bank account until I get paid from my recent commercial gig.  

Mamiya TLR C330 with 80mm f/2.8


I enjoy shooting with a rangefinder camera and currently I own a Mamiya 7.  However, I wanted something a lot smaller.  After researching various sites and checking the reviews at Rangefinderforum.com, I decided to purchase a Voigtlander R3A.  This camera is a lot cheaper than a Leica, (I'd go with an M4 or M6) if I had the money).  I found a used body on Craigslist for $265.  This camera has a built-in meter, aperture priority, 40, 50, 75, and 90 Framelines and top 1/2000 shutter.  My favorite feature of this camera is 1:1 viewfinder which allows me to take take a picture with both eyes opened.  This is crucial for me because I am more in tune with my surroundings rather than hiding behind the camera  when taking a photograph.  Shooting film slows down my pace and forces me to think about my composition.  My R3A is equipped with Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 and this set up is light and inconspicuous. I found a good deal on a Canonet GIII QL, one of Canon's best selling cameras (over 1 million sold) on Ebay for $50.  This is my beater film camera that I bring with me on my random outings. 


Voigtlander R3A w/ 35mm f/1.4

Canonet GIII QL with 40mm f/1.7

I will post some pictures once I get them developed and scanned.  But it will be a while, I've had these two cameras for over a month and I haven't even finished a roll yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment